I want to write about my last Sorbetto Top today, and the modifications I made. But let me first digress from sewing a little, and tell you that in the photo my head is turned to the right because I've only got one earring on. There used to be two of them until very recently, and they were my very favorite summer earrings. I do intend to talk about sewing today, honestly, but let me just show you a close-up of what used to be my favorite pair of summer earrings (originally published in this Corner View post):
They're big earrings, a great mass of dangling turquoise flowers. How could one of them quietly disappear? It's certainly in the house ... somewhere ... but where exactly? It drives me insane to know that one of my favorite earrings is wandering around somewhere in this house.
Ok, back to sewing. I finished my fourth and last Sorbetto Top, as mentioned. Three Sorbettos would definitely have been enough, but I had already cut the fabric, so I sewed it. The fabric was very hard to work with, because it's a very slippery type of rayon, which I bought only because of the bright, summery color scheme and the catchy ornithological pattern. And of course I loved the fabric's turquoise background, which would go so well with my earrings. (Sob.)
Instead of the gathering around the neckline like my previous Sorbettos, this time I made pleats. On the one hand, it was a happy idea because I think this incarnation of the original pattern is the best: eight little pleats at the front look better than the gathering, and far better than the original large central pleat. On the other hand, because of its slippery quality, this rayon was definitely the wrong fabric to improvise pleats on, and they came out a little crooked. (To give you an idea of just how slippery the fabric is, I couldn't make bias for the neckline and armholes, and had to buy it instead - turned out that purple was the only color available around here.)
Still, I'm quite happy with it. Even if I have to wear it with one earring only.