Sadly, very sadly, the African Flower Blanket I crocheted for Rebecca five years ago fell apart within the first year of its life. I could tell you that the fault was in the little hands of a little girl who has trouble sleeping and who, instead of counting sheep, started pulling on threads and ended up unraveling several of the ninety motifs. But to be honest, the fault was in those many threads that I didn't secure well enough. By the time I saw what was happening, the blanket was already badly damaged, and the repair work required to fix it would have been extensive. So, I confess I used the "out of sight, out of mind" strategy, and just put it away at the bottom of a trunk. Until this weekend.
This weekend, while I was hunting for a piece of winter clothing, I came across that blanket again. I pulled it out, and had a good look at it. And realized there was only one thing to do: take the whole thing apart, fix the unravelled African Flower motifs, and reassemble them. But once I began, what had once seemed a daunting task turned out to be far less painful or tedious than I feared. I saw yet another proof that when you take the trouble to un-make and re-make a handmade item, chances are it will become something better.
And I do believe this is going to be the case for our new, deconstructed and soon-to-be-reconstructed African Flower Blanket.