Oh November, you've been so kind to us this year! During a month when, in past years, we've known epic snowfalls and torrential rains that caused massive landslides, this November has been the gentlest we've ever seen, and a nice transition into the season of dark and cold. Here are some of our November doings:
- Rebecca and Tom went to the beach to swim. We've certainly never had a November sea swim before!
- I've been possessed by pasta making enthusiasm, and I've made lasagna, tagliatelle, linguini and cavatelli. I may have over-documented these projects on Instagram. Although, while looking through my food photos the other day, Tom commented that it appeared we ate cake a lot. In fact, as a rule we don't eat cake a lot – maybe I'm just more proud when I make pasta and bake cakes, and take more photos of them. Anyway, November does begin the season for baking and more elaborate cooking!
- I've had to start a fire in the morning only in the last week, and the winter ritual of filling the Moka espresso maker, then building a fire and get it going while my coffee percolates still feels fresh.
- Ms Cat seems to have gone partly deaf, yet another reason for which she's very welcome to come in, to spend the cold days snoozing and shamelessly taking over the family sofa.
- I won a knitting pattern, SnowFlower by designer Heidi Kirrmaier, and will join the SnowFlower KAL starting tomorrow. It's my very first KAL, and I'm quite excited about the project - I spent a great many hours figuring out what yarn and which colors to use (it's a colorwork sweater requiring five colors!), and tonight I'll finalize my choices. I'm really not very good at picking and matching colors together....
- Big boy passed his driver's test, which involved a thorough examination while driving in traffic, on the highway, at night, stopping and starting on a hill, and parking. And so, we now have a new driver in the family!
November has been a big, and mostly beneficent, month.